Winter is coming. (Yes, I just recited a Game of Thrones quote!)
If you’re cold and freezing, your cell phone is too! Smart phones are not built for the extreme cold. If you’re in California then your phone should be fine, but for other states especially where it snows a lot this blog entry is for you!
The last thing you need is a busted phone, especially if you are stuck in the freezing cold weather. It can drain your battery quickly as well as shutting them down. When lithium-ion batteries are exposed to cold temperatures, their performance drastically goes down. When cold, a phone battery can drain faster than normal, or it can suddenly go dead, but once it is warmed up, the device is brought back to life!
Here are some tips on how to protect your phone and other electronic devices in cold weather:
- Keep your phone / tablets tucked in something warm. You can wrap a small towel or blanket around to make sure it doesn’t die in the cold. You can also have the device close to your body so it can absorb some body heat. If you need to leave the device behind, turn it off instead of leaving it to sleep.
- Cases help keep phones warm. There are some that are built to regular a phone’s temperature in extreme cases (no pun intended).
- For laptops, you have the screen AND the hard drive that could easily crack if dropped in the cold. Let them warm up before turning them on. Otherwise the drive can crash which may lead to loss of data.
- Have a car charger or a power bank to help with battery life. You can use ones that have additional USB ports to charge multiple devices. You can find both at our store.
- Have an external battery for back up.