Did you know there are approximately 23.2 million military veterans in the United States? The men and women who serve come from all walks of life. Most of us have a family member, co-worker (our very own John C. Messenger, National Account Manager – Thanks!) or friend that has served in the military. So today, please gives thanks to those veterans who have served their country.
Technology has made for incredible advances on the war front, but how about the home front? Showing your support and appreciation for our veterans is easier than ever before. Here are a few ways you can appreciate Veterans Day with technology:
1. World War II Memorial App. This smartphone app helps you explore the World War II Memorial, sharing war stories as part of a virtual tour and offering a database to pull information up on those killed. The App is available on iTunes & Google Play.
2. The Honor Wall. This website from ancestry.com is based on more than 20 million records and personal memories uploaded by loved ones, which honors service members who served from current wars all the way back to the Revolutionary War. The Honor Wall documents letters home, photos and awards of veterans.
3. TroopTree. TroopTree is a free private video messaging platform for military families to stay in touch with their loved ones overseas. KeepTree provides the free service which allows soldiers or their family members to leave messages for each other to be viewed at any time. The videos can be stored and saved forever so families can rewatch the videos. Message can also be made ahead of time for family to watch at a later date.
4. Cell Phones for Soldiers. This service recycles old cell phones and turns them into calling cards for soldiers. Since its inception, Cell Phones for Soldiers has provided 181 million minutes of free talk time for soldiers as well as help recycle 10.8 million cell phones! Find out how you can recycle your old cell phone today.
5. Cup of Joe for a Joe. For just $2, you can send a cup of coffee to a soldier. California based coffee company Green Beans Coffee has several cafes serving soldiers at military bases in Afghanistan, Kuwait, Qatar, Kyrgyzstan, Djibouti East Africa, Oman, and United Arab Emirates.
6. Discounts. Militarybenefits.info lists discounts, sales and everything free for vets and their families, ranging from free dinners to haircuts and oil changes. There is also a meal guide of deals for not only veterans, but also active duty and retired military. Many offers require a valid military ID or proof of military service.
How are you honoring Veterans Day? Share your comments with us by visiting our Facebook page or leaving a comment below!